Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Nanowrimo Begins!

I started writing today, and after ten minutes was forced to admit I had writers block. I spent nearly an hour writing and rewriting the first chapter, and eventually ditched it and went straight to the second. The first chapter was all background anyway, I'll just put it in later.on
I'm on 2227 words now. W00t!
I also made my first ever NaNoIsm. "Askelu stretched out his head". Obviously, I meant legs. And that was in the first 1000 words. This can only get worse XD
I think I will start posting a paragraph of what I've written each day. Not all of it, otherwise I'd have a whole book here by the end of it and that's a lot of space taken up. Anyway, see the end of this blog for a paragraph from my first chapter of NaNoWriMo!
Today was a good day, because I didn't have art. It was my favourite subject last year, but I've got quite a dislike for it now. My teachers suck, the work sucks, everything sucks. Like a horseshoe. Today was English and Sociology, which I love. However, the library was closed and I had to work in the sixth form common room, complete with talentless boys on guitars and giggling teenage girls. Oh joy.
Anyway, I'd better finish this off. My mother is screaming.

“I suppose you’re not particularly familiar with his story?” He said. It wasn’t really a question. I nodded. “Then let me explain. This guy left Sanctuary about eight weeks ago with seven childhood friends, one of whom he was in a relationship of some sort with. I don’t know the details, I don’t suppose it matters. The point is, they all died out there. Seven nice kids… well, not kids any more but I remember them before it all happened, you know.” His eyes took on a vague, distant look. “Used to spend a lot of time with my daughter, Oemi. I’m just glad she didn’t get mixed up in any of this; they had some kind of falling out when they were teenagers and haven’t spoken since. I felt sorry for her at the time, any parent would, poor kid suddenly loses her friends like that but damn, I’m glad now. She’d have gone with them; my Oemi would have followed those friends of her anywhere they chose to lead her.” He took a shaky breath. “Sorry, this story gets my a little shaken up. I knew those kids, knew them nearly as well as my daughter… Anyway, they didn’t survive out there, every one of them died. I don’t know how and judging from some of the crazy shit he’s been saying, neither does he. He wandered about for six weeks out there, six weeks! He’s lucky to be alive at all. No one, except possibly him, knows what happened out there, where they went, what they saw. All we know is that he was spotted lying at the bottom of the Wall, still outside, covered in mud and blood and, well, he looked dead. A couple of people went down to get him, climbed right up and right down the Wall. Braver people than me, let me tell you.” He paused, and ran a hand through his hair. “Just the thought of going up there makes me shudder, looking out and seeing all those trees, moving all the time even when there’s no wind. No wonder everyone in this place is fucking crazy.”

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray for NaNo writing - well done! I like your excerpt - v ominous. :-)
xxx

10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home